EXPAT CONSTRUCTION SECTOR ADVISOR and TEAM LEADER
80-100%; Jan-Dec 2019+; Bujumbura Burundi
Since 2012 SKAT Consulting Ltd is implementing the project known as PROECCO (Promoting off–farm employment and income in the Great Lakes Region through climate responsive construction material production), a mandate of the Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC). The project is implemented through three coordination offices, one in Kigali City, a field coordination office for the Lake Kivu Zone, and another office in Bujumbura, Burundi. The overall aim of the project is to maximise the creation of employment in the urban construction and building material sector, while minimising the impact on the environment. The Project implementation involves a range of stakeholders, namely and entrepreneurs and investors in construction in the building material sector, rural men and women employed in the sector, raw material suppliers, business service providers, national level and local authorities, vocational training institutions and other stakeholders.
Skat-PROECCO is seeking an experienced professional to fill the position of a CONSTRUCTION SECTOR ADVISOR and TEAM LEADER responsible for the coordination and day-to-day management of the Bujumbura Field Office.
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi with frequent visits in Kigali and Bukavu
- Responsible for the overall coordination of the Bujumbura Field Programme Office and for providing expert support to the project team, private building industry firms, investors and other stakeholders in matters related to construction sector development and urbanisation;
- Lead the monitoring of urban development trends in Burundi with a special focus on housing typologies, residential neighbourhood transformation processes, and commercial and public buildings demand;
- Supervise construction sector field monitoring activities to understand its performance, its capacity to meet the demand, and other related social and environmental requirements;
- To exchange with the regional coordination on appropriate support activities to provide to relevant authorities, private sector stakeholders, labour and civil societies involved in the construction, housing and urban development sectors;
- To lead the implementation of trainings and technical support to relevant stakeholders in the construction industry;
- To inform and coach investors and authorities on opportunities and challenges related to the growth and modernisation of the construction sector;
- To lead the Brick Branding Office and Construction Information Access Point in Bujumbura;
- To conduct regular exchange with the Kigali head project office;
- To supervise data collection and results analysis and reporting on partner performance (building material producers, machinists, labourers, service providers, etc.);
- To communicate with the SDC-Coordination office in Bujumbura on a regular basis and implement advise and recommendations, especially related to authority communication and security
Targeted beginning of the assignment: 1st of January 2019
General qualifications required:
- Degree in economical sciences, architecture or civil engineering;
- Experience in social/labour/livelihood and/or and business development in Africa;
- Experiences in SME development and related Business Development Services;
- Experiences in Marketing, Branding and Entrepreneurship;
- Experiences in leading a local team comprised of technical staff and administration;
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English; knowledge of German would be an asset.
- Experience in working on donor projects in low-intensity conflict zones;
Duration of Assignment
The successful candidate will sign a contract for the position of the Construction Sector Adviser for the duration of the current second phase of the PROECCO project, which started in July 2016, and will end in December 2019. There is a possibility for extension beyond 2019 as the project is intended to run for two more project phases.
Submission of Application
Eligible and interested candidates should submit a letter of application and a detailed CV in electronic format to:
Skat Consulting Ltd., attn. Ms Violeta Zivanovic, Vadianstr. 42, CH-9000 St. Gallen, Switzerland;
Recruitment remains open until filled