Elaboration and formulation of the key elements for the continuation of the Trail Bridge Capacity Building Programme.
- Programme Planning and Formulation
Name of Staff involved and functions performed:
Project Manager: Juerg Christen, Mobility, Transport and Governance
Name of Client:
Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation
Description of the Project:
The assignment included overall planning and preparation of the a programme document for a three-year operational framework of the TBCBP to be negotiated between the donor and the Rural Roads Authorities and the Ethiopian Roads Authority.
The main elements and focus was on:
- the development of a bottom-up inclusive participatory planning process,
- the design of mechanisms for demand oriented collection and prioritisation of bridges as well as defining roles of actors involved,
- governance aspects such as participation, transparency and accountability, decentralisation, social inclusion and gender mainstreaming,
- creation of institutional capacities anchoring the technology at federal and regional levels as well as in educational institutions, the private sector and civil society.
Strategically, the TBCBP is considered a national programme with a regional focus, i.e. integrating and anchoring trail bridge technology and the processes in few demonstration regions being complemented by targeted capacity development and institutional strengthening.