Skat was requested by SDC Mongolia to support the Sustainable Artisanal Mining Project in the strategic development of a Knowledge Hub on Artisanal and Small Scale Mining including Mongolian and International Stakeholders.
Knowledge Sharing, Networks, Training & Capacity Development
- Conceptual support in the development of a Knowledge Hub for Artisanal and Small Scale Mining
Name of Staff involved and functions performed:
Project Manager: Bertha Camacho
Support: Noro Schmid-Robson
Name of Client:
Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) – Mongolia
Description of the Project:
The Sustainable Artisanal Mining Project (SAM) built upon 10 years of implementation and aimed to consolidate the remarkable progress towards responsible community mining within an enabling legal framework for Mongolia’s 60,000 artisanal miners and their dependents. It was also the culmination of more than 20 years of artisanal and small scale mining (ASM) projects by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) in 4 countries spanning two continents.
In its fourth Phase, the SAM sought to develop a Knowledge Hub for ASM Best Practices, which should extend the outreach and impact of the project beyond the national level while bringing international experience back to Mongolia.
Within this framework, SDC requested the services of Skat for its comprehensive knowledge and experiences in the development of knowledge networks, including their purpose, structure, governance, and sustainability.
Skat supported the SAM Project by facilitating a process of developing the ASM Knowledge Hub ensuring the participation of international and mongolian ASM Stakeholders.
This process included:
- Implementing consultations to understand the knowledge needs of mongolian and international ASM Stakeholders
- Assessment of the knowledge activities of international and mongolian stakeholders that could be shared and included in the Knowledge Hub
- Planning and organising an international stakeholder meeting and Workshop in Paris
- Planning and organising online meetings and working sessions with different stakeholders
- Methodological and conceptual support to in the development of the IKH Strategic Plan.